Whether you want to build your own business website or you want next Twitter or Orkut, then you may start hosting in few minutes. Here the question arises which type of hosting is appropriate for me? We have seen that there are four main types of hosting are available which have their own features, merits, demerits, which may help you to choose your hosting platform, as per your need.
- Shared hosting is the most popular web hosting, in which its providers divide the server between their customers and allow them to share the server. Here all the customers are getting equal resources of a system, to perform their respective task, whereas VPS stands for Virtual private server allows their customers to share the server and resources of the system, but here customers are given a higher amount of CPU, RAM and more control over the server itself.
- Unlike shared hosting, VPS host may not offer unlimited bandwidth and storage.
- VPS hosting is more expensive than shared hosting, as prices for latter are usually less than $5 dollars per month but former cost around $15 to $20 per month and may increase also, as per the need of your resources.
- VPS is usually not required for busy websites, whereas shared hosting has the capacity to handle large no. of users and greater complexity.
- VPS is not suggested for the first post or for someone who will go to start a small site because it may disturb your site with a lot of traffic or your site is running slow, but these limitations are usually not faced by the users of shared hosting.
- VPS is mainly used for small businesses that cannot afford a dedicated server but they require a customized Web site. It also allows a single subscriber to maintain multiple virtual servers, but this does not happen with a shared host.
- In shared hosting, you cannot change anything on the server, as per your need, whatever you got from the provider is enough for you and you cannot do anything about this, but in VPS hosting, you may get this option.
- Shared hosting can easily handle 90% of the websites, but VPS may not.